In January 2013, the Open Working Group (OWG) was established by the General Assembly to steer the formulation of the proposal on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). From March 2013 to February 2014, the Group conducted a total of eight sessions on the various themes identified in the Rio+20 outcome document.
On February 21st 2014 the Co-Chairs of the OWG released a summary of some of the themes to have emerged during their discussions to date. They stress that the outlined themes should not act as a zero draft, but aim to start the process of building consensus amongst members of the OWG in preparation for the General Assembly.
2. Food security and nutrition
3. Health and population dynamics
5. Gender equality and women’s empowerment
6. Water and sanitation
11. Employment and decent work for all
13. Sustainable cities and human settlements
16. Marine resources, oceans and seas
17. Ecosystems and biodiversity
18. Means of implementation
19. Peaceful and non-violent societies, capable institutions